-->

Saturday, May 13, 2017

May 13. Day 133. If you don't give a feather or a fig

I actually remember the first time I heard the song Swing on a Star. Now the take home message Bing Crosby was delivering was that we should be aiming to swing on a star and collect moonbeams to take home with us. But if we continue to be content with a low bar and low ambition and expectations we won't amount to much. Indeed if you don't try to be better off than you are you may grow up to be a pig. "A pig is an animal with dirt on his face
His shoes are a terrible disgrace
He has no manners when he eats his food
He's fat and lazy and extremely rude
But if you don't care a feather or a fig
You may grow up to be a pig." Apparently I didn't give feather or a fig. Let me tick of my porcine attributes. Dirty face. Yep, frequently and normally related to how I eat my food. Another tick. I don't own shoe polish and I'm fat, lazy and frequently rude. Actually I'm okay with that. Enjoying wearing my food is not such a bad thing and in all honesty there is something to be said for not giving a feather or a fig about what other people think. Own it, I say. And I'm not the only one. The wildlife at UQ this afternoon was displaying quite a bit of that spirit. The birds, for instance, were about as tidy at meal time as I am which is pretty much not at all. And then there were humans of the species. Their faces were dirty and clearly in that and many other ways they didn't care what people thought. I did ask them what they'd been up to and they answered but I didn't catch what they said or it was just beyond my comprehension. And then they were off because at the end of the day they didn't care what I thought - and why should they?











No comments:

Post a Comment