-->

Saturday, February 11, 2017

February 11. Day 42. If you can't stand the heat ...


What a useless piece of advice that is. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. As though the living room, bedrooms, bathroom or great outdoors are going to be any cooler. It's hot, hot, hot and it's only going to get hotter. We are in the middle of a heatwave, a tropical heatwave. There's no escaping it unless you happen to be in my neighbour Margaret's house. She insists it is cool s a cucumber. Our health authorities are specifically advising us to check on elderly people. Get them into air conditioning for at least part of the day, the warnings say. So I did the right thing. I went over. Big no to air conditioning. Big no to borrowing a large fan because of her fixed belief that these things blow away the breeze. The only concession I got was an agreement to buy fruit ice blocks. So I left hot and bothered. The temperature of her fibro hotbox had me in a lather of sweat and the conversation left me hot under the collar. But what can you do? I went back with the ice blocks and there was zero sign that she was going to change her mind. She did, however, tell me to make sure I kept the dogs cool. No worries there. Our hot dogs spend their day sleeping in air con.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely old dear. (Don't tell her I called her an old dear.) keep cool Margaret.

    ReplyDelete