-->

Saturday, November 5, 2016

November 5. Day 310. Invasion


 It's easy to go around with your eyes open but not really see what's going on in the world. But once it's been pointed out to you it's impossible to un-see it and indeed to wonder how you missed it in the first place. So it is with butterflies. My neighbour Margaret lives in a world almost free of electronic distractions - no radio, no smart phone, no computer. She watches Bold and the Beautiful and the news on TV and that's it. The rest of the time she watches the world from her window. She was the one who pointed out the butterflies. Then I read in The Courier-Mail that millions of Caper White Butterflies had migrated from west of the Great Dividing Range to breed. Apparently this happens about once a decade. Millions of butterflies and yet somehow I'd failed to notice them. Now I see them everywhere. Frequently I tell journalism students that they should live by the motto “Try to be one of those on whom nothing is lost". Clearly in this instance it's do as I say, not as I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment