-->

Sunday, November 13, 2016

November 13. Day 318. Keeping the flame alight


According to the commentary on the Washington DC tourist bus I caught today, the eternal flame on JF Kennedy's grave at Arlington National Cemetery has been extinguished only twice - once during a hurricane and one when an over zealous group of Catholic school girls doused it in holy water. I can not verify this (because I have not tried) because in this instance I prefer the old journalistic adage: never let truth get in the way of a good story. Now the truth is that my "profession" has not been journalist for some years but you can not take the journalist out of the girl that easily. I can be waiting for the tour bus and the noise of a procession breaks the normal city buzz. Ears and camera point in the direction of the commotion. See protesters with signs outside Trump Towers, camera snaps in a reflex action. So tonight I was in my element. Tonight I met many of the group who will be my buddies on this media innovations tour of Washington and New York. There are 13 in all and I win the prize for having travelled the furthest to be here. As well as the US-based journalists, there is a woman from the national broadcaster in Denmark, a bloke from South Africa and a journo from Mexico. Tonight's cocktail hour followed by dinner set the scene for what promises to be five most entertaining, illuminating and educational days. Quite frankly, I can not wait. The eternal flames of my journalistic soul are burning bright. Note to self. Stay well clear of any group of Catholic school girls carrying holy water.















No comments:

Post a Comment