-->

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

September 28. Day 272. Going swimmingly



Talk about diving in the deep end. I'm not a great one for putting myself forward and applying for things but some opportunities seem too good to just let pass you by even if they seem impossibly out of reach. So I saw this course about media innovation being run in Washington and New York, only two of the world's greatest journalism hubs. I put in an application and IT WAS ACCEPTED. Holy Crapolie. In a bit over six weeks I'll be in the US visiting such prestigious centres of journalism as the New York Times and the Washington Post to fill my brain with the possibilities for a bright journalism future for the graduates of tomorrow. Exciting stuff. This, of course, means so much to do so little time. So I immersed myself in a great big bundle of marking until I was gasping for air and then decided it was time to hit the beach. I had no trouble finding recruits to join me. My two love the beach and my sister's dog Shadow came along for the ride. Nudgee Beach will never feature in Lonely Planet unless they bring out a dog version. But the dogs always seem to be every bit as excited about a trip there as I am about a US tour. And their dream break doesn't involve cattle class air travel or an investment of serious $$$$.
They come home exhausted and energised in equal measures. I rather think I'll be just the same. You have to throw yourself in and get a bit dirty  if you want to make the most of the experience. I just hope I return home as inspired and refreshed but hopefully not smelling quite as bad.














No comments:

Post a Comment