-->

Sunday, September 11, 2016

September 11. Day 255. Oh what a beautiful morning

It feels wrong, disloyal and completely out of character but it is time to come clean, to spill the beans even. I, Susan Hetherington, lover of the creative and performing arts and self confessed musical theatre tragic does not like Oklahoma! I find it tired, dull and with very little to say to contemporary audiences. And while it is honesty hour I probably should add that although I'm a bit of a fan of The Sound of Music my general dislike of Rodgers and Hammerstein extends to Carousel, South Pacific and The King and I all of which I find even more tiresome than Oklahoma!  This is not to in any way detract from the talent of Rodgers and Hammerstein. I have no doubt their work was ground breaking and awesome in its day but that day is not longer with us. Of course there are till moments of greatness. Oh What a Beautiful Morning is a song that still inspires and uplifts. Unfortunately it is right at the beginning of a very, very, very long first act. By the end of the act I was dozing off. Not because SQUIDS Theatrical's production was bad - just the opposite - but I went in exceptionally tired, the theatre was dark, the seats comfy and, as I have already confessed, the production not my cup of tea. So at intermission rather than fight my way to the bar or the ladies I took a quick stroll to the ornamental lakes just near the Redcliffe Cultural Centre. A brisk walk and fresh air ensured that I not only survived but enjoyed the second act. It was a very well put together production. The balance of youth and experience and a bucket load of experience combined well and my mum, a big fan of Oklahoma, came out singing its praise. She's right. It was good but not good enough to turn me into a fan. But SQUIDS, the problem is me not you. You deserve better. And you got it from an auditorium full of admirers. Forget me. You can't please all of the people all of the time.









No comments:

Post a Comment