-->

Friday, April 29, 2016

April 29. Day 120. She Bangs

Well that was awkward. Being seen exiting a man's bedroom just after dawn. I'm not sure I can immediately recall his surname and that's not even the worst of it. Seconds later I was on the couch with another man. What a player, in the sense that all the world's a stage and we are merely players. For a person who lives and breathes the theatre,  surprisingly, I spend no time on stage unless you count dressing up in academic robes for graduation ceremonies which always take place on the QPAC Concert Hall stage. But today was a rare exception. Every Friday, I speak theatre on 612 ABC Brisbane with Spencer Howson. In an awesome new initiative, Spencer and his crew are taking regular road trips to performing arts venues across the region for outside broadcasts. Today the show was broadcast from Beenleigh's Crete Street Theatre so instead of talking to Spencer in the studio we were on stage.  The stage was set for Beenleigh Theatre Group's opening tonight of the bedroom farce Noises Off. A farce needs multiple doors and in that this one doesn't disappoint. Each guest emerged from one of those doors and my entrance was to be from an upstairs bedroom. Well, you can't let an opportunity like that go by can you? I enlisted the help of Brad the Traffic Guy. My name was called, the door flew open and there I was with Brad, looking all disheveled .... It's just as well I have a day job and generally restrict my work in the theatre to reviewing. But it's all a bit of fun and today had that in spades. In a morning that also included performances by a couple of choirs and an orchestra my favourite moment was veteran performer Ian Morrice sang She Bangs. Given this morning's comings and goings, that seems strangely appropriate.



1 comment:

  1. Friday mornings performances included the Beenleigh Orchestra, AChord Community Choir and 3 part female choir Songbyrds. We all call Crete Street Theatre and Beenleigh Theatre Group our home.

    ReplyDelete