-->

Saturday, January 16, 2016

January 16. Day 16. When I grow up


Several days after seeing Matilda on stage for the first time, one song is still bringing a smile to my face. I loved "When I Grow Up"  where children imagine what their lives will be when they escape childhood:
"When I grow up, I will be tall enough to reach the branches
that I need to reach to climb the trees you get to climb when you're grown up...

And when I grow up
I will eat sweets every day
on the way to work and I
will go to bed late every night!

And I will wake up
when the sun comes up and I
will watch cartoons until my eyes go square and I won't care 'cause I'll be all grown up!"

This is a touching insight into how kids think.
Kids are not like little grown ups, in oh so many ways. And today at South Bank, there it was again.
In the rain of the last couple of days, grown ups have been dodging the showers as if, like the Wicked Witch of the West, a little bit of water on your clothes will make you evaporate.
Kids, however, are different. They are certainly not worried about water on their clothes - in fact it would seem they invite it.
Just look at these boys. First they ran fully clothed through the pools and then frolicked in the water park. On a putrid hot Brisbane day any one of us might be tempted but today was mild verging on cool.
But as any parent knows, children's internal thermometers also don't act in the same way as adults.
Kids can't wait to grow up but in fact it would be far better if grown ups could retain a little bit of the sense of fun kids have. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment