-->

Friday, January 15, 2016

January 15. Day 15. High Flyer


They say it's not the destination, it's the journey that's important. I say this is often crap. Firstly I am fully aware that this saying is meant to be taken in a figurative sense. We are talking journey in a life sense and the importance of concentrating on milestones along the path and not just focusing on a goal no matter what it takes to get there blah, blah. But let's be all literal for a minute. When it comes to journeys involving air travel the journey is for the most part best forgotten, unless you have the means to fly in the point bit of the aircraft (which I do not, more's the pity). Just focus on where you need to get their and endure the bit between airports. Cattle class air travel totally sucks. For this reason, I find one aspect of the flying business most curious. Here I am talking about the departure gate. As soon as the flight is called there is a mad scramble to get to the front of the queue and hand over the boarding pass. Why? I ask you. Seats are allocated. There is far more leg room in the terminal and the flight isn't going to take off without you once your luggage is loaded. Yet people rush. I'd rather sit quietly until the queue dies down and take advantage of every last second of mobile time time, especially if there's free wifi in the airport. And once  on board staring out the window is my major coping mechanism. Watching the world go becomes quite hypnotic. I pulled myself from the trance just long enough take today's images - two from the plane and one from the train on the way. It passes the time and makes the journey at least a bit important ....


No comments:

Post a Comment