-->

Monday, January 19, 2015

January 19. Day 19. Flat out like a lizard drinking

There is a little bit of the late Steve Irwin in most if not all of us. Creatures, especially the ugly scaly ones have a huge attraction. You just want to get up and personal. At least I do and have since a child. Today my belief that I am not a Lone Ranger in this respect was backed up not once but twice. Children love all creatures great and small - especially the prehistoric looking reptilian ones. As we were walking through South Bank this afternoon I stopped to photograph my mates the lizards. There was a little boy who like me was climbing all over the rocks to get closer. He was in equal measure scared and fascinated, edging forwards and then beating a hasty retreat when the lizard moved. Shortly another group of young blokes arrived also interested in the lizards. They even managed to catch one. Oh how I was reminded of all the times I   would catch a lizard just like this and taunt my scaredy cat older sister with it. In hindsight, I feel slightly bad about this but to be fair I was no worse than a catch and release fisherman. The fun was in the catching. As soon as that was done it would be set free to go about its lizard business. The only thing that was hurt was my sister's pride. The older wiser me catches only on camera but I refuse to judge children who just want to touch.

4 comments:

  1. We love lizards here.... we have our own bearded dragon. Its great fun to get him out when we have guests around that haven't seen him before, ad watched them get nervous! :-) Not seen them in the wild though. Our dragon has his own hashtag #davethedragon if youw anted to see our lizard friend on instagram :-) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what an amazing photo! I'm not sure I'd like to have my fingers too close to that mouth. Well done catching him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo! I always wish I have a lizard for a pet but my mother is scared of it. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab picture. I LOVE lizards, geckos, dragons you name it!! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete