-->

Thursday, September 25, 2014

September 25. Day 268. Ahoy there


 

 


 Me: I'm heading to the Maritime Museum in the morning
Teen: Why?
Me: It's Pirate Week
Teen: Really? What are they pirating?
Face palm moment.
I like to think he was joking. He probably wasn't. Pirating now is less about walking the plank and more about clicking a mouse and downloading something illegally.
But for the little ones, pirates still evoke images of the high seas, parrots on a shoulder and more than a few "ahoy there me hearties"
Quite simply kids love pirates and if you are going to have pirate theme day there could be no better place than a maritime museum. The children, many dressed as pirates, got to crawl all over the ships on display, learn fun facts about the high seas and take part in pirate craft.
A loyal band of volunteers all decked out in their pirate finery led the activities and all seemed to be having as much fun as the children.
And best of all for someone who gets seasick just thinking about the concept of a voyage at sea, all the craft on display were in a dry dock. Now, that's like discovering buried treasure.


3 comments:

  1. What fun! Kids do love pirates :) #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the outfits and the expressions on the children's faces. Pirates are such a great dress up theme for kids, and big kids too! Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your outfits. My little one would like a pirate party for his 3rd birthday. I hope I can make his costume as fabulous

    ReplyDelete