-->

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

September 24. Day 267. Black Diggers


  

History, they say, is written by the victors. There is, of course, a huge element of truth in this but it is not the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Not all on the "winning" team have the same influence on what the record books says. And while I'm yet to see it, my understanding is that Black Diggers, which opens at QPAC tomorrow night, aims to fill in a few significant gaps in the story about the involvement of Indigenous soldiers fighting for Australia in World War 1. At a time when they were not even considered citizens many Indigenous Aussies joined the war effort and only to find themselves shunned when the war was over. It may not be possible to reverse this shameful treatment but at least bringing it to public attention corrects the record. From my sneak peak behind the scenes today, I am expecting a compelling piece of theatre that every Australian should see. Australians, black and white, deserve to see Australian stories on stage and not just the happy ones (indeed I would say it is even more important that we learn from the not so attractive stories from our past).
***************************************

When opportunity knocks

I don't call him Drama Teen for nothing. For as long as I can remember my boy has wanted to pursue a career on the stage. So when I suggested he might like to accompany me to a media call for Black Diggers he was totally ready for it. Meeting at the stage door, walking through the back of house corridors, sitting in the Playhouse Theatre with only a handful of others, being able to walk on the stage and then shake hands with director Wesley Enoch that's about as good as it gets. Hanging with Mum on the school holidays isn't always something to avoid at all costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment