-->

Monday, July 28, 2014

July 28. Day 209. The lightbulb moment

Q: How many of the men in my house does it take to change a lightbulb/replace an empty toilet paper roll/turn on the washing machine?
A: No-one knows because it has never been done before.
Okay, that's not true - but it's not far from the truth. I think, there's a belief that we have fairy who magically does these things with a flick of fairy dust or a wave of a wand or something. Case in point. The pool filter starts beeping in the dead of night. Selective deafness sets it and a game of brinkmanship ensues. I crack first. I always crack first and in fact I am almost certain neither of my males knows how to deal with this problem. Lightbulb moment. Whose fault is that? Can I honestly blame them for not volunteering when they know full well that if they hang off I'll do it and they can stay on the couch? Of course not. Learned helplessness requires both a teacher and a student. This is a monster I have created and nurtured. It might be time to starve it of oxygen.

No comments:

Post a Comment