-->

Friday, July 18, 2014

July 18. Day 199. Just Desserts

My parents were extreme meanies. We never had dessert. Ever. There was no such thing as "eat your vegetables or you won't get any ice cream". It was just "eat your vegetables". Full stop. (As it happens, that wasn't the end of it. My younger sister Lisa refused to eat peas and without the incentive of dessert would smuggle peas from the table in her pocket and throw them out her bedroom window. Should an archaeologist ever dig up that area, they may come to the conclusion that there was some ceremonial pea grave yard in that region). But back to the desserts. Truth is, we don't eat desserts in my house either. Well, not often. But I am prepared to make an exception and tonight was such a night and I didn't even eat my peas. Next Saturday is Christmas in July and we are on dessert detail. So tonight I decided a trial was in order (yes, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). I recruited my domestic goddess Christy to cook up a batch of Delia Smith's Little Sticky Toffee Puddings with Pecan Toffee Sauce. And they were awesome. Totally awesome. In a way it was just dessert but it was so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment