-->

Monday, March 17, 2014

March 16. Day 75. Shall I compare thee to a summer's Day?

In the strange dark recesses of my mind - almost certainly in a file marked useless - there are small fragments of poems.
I am sure the poems themselves are infinitely beautiful but the small bits that remain after being over analysed to the point of being butchered in high school English classes are not. So when I was sweltering today and reminding myself that we were now firmly in autumn the line of a Shakespearean sonnet found its way out of that mind recess. "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate".
I could not help but compare the day to summer and I could not consider it in any way more lovely nor more temperate. It was every bit as hideous. So like summer, the only ways to deal with such a day are air conditioning and the pool. Also it is a fine idea to pray that Shakespeare was not, in fact, right because if the et"ernal summer does not fade" I just might. While I hate winter today was in the word of The Bard "too hot the eye of heaven shines".
Now, who said high school English was wasted on me? (Well me actually but perhaps there was a bit of poetic licence there too).
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate. - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15555#sthash.AachRBHp.dpuf

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate. - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15555#sthash.AachRBHp.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment