-->

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

September 4. Day 248. Breakfast is served

Given how much I love food, it is amazing how much my mother would have to fight to make me eat breakfast. As a good parent she would encourage, nag, bribe, punish - anything to try to make me eat.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, she'd say. You won't be able to function at school without food, she's say.
Of course she was right. Of course, I took know notice That's what teens are for.
Now as the mother of a teen I feel that the universe has conspired to pay me back. Call it karma if you like.
These days I couldn't imagine not breaking the fast.
I'm up with the birds eating a diet of grains and seeds which seems better suited to a creature with wings than one with teeth. I'm tucking in with all the enthusiasm and none of the athleticism displayed by this rainbow lorikeet snapped on this morning's pre-breakfast walk.
I think we are now both set up for the day. Now excuse me while I go and have a fight with someone who appears to be on a hunger strike. In his mind breakfast is for the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment