-->

Friday, June 15, 2012

June 15. Day 167. Spinning a yarn

You've got to love someone who can spin a good yarn. Today I met Knitted Nancy the creation of Penelope Lowther a circus performer, puppeteer, visual artist and all round story teller.
Nancy is a real character who today at the Out of the Box Festival was a bit like the Pied Piper, where she went a tribe of children couldn't help but follow.
At first it was the costume that drew the kids in. Not everyone can get away with wearing an outfit that looks part rug, part tea cosy and part doily. Nancy looked like she had climbed out of Women's Weekly craft book from the 1960s.
But once Nancy had their attention she became something of a magician pulling not a rabbit out of a hat but all manner of knitted creatures from secret pockets or patches on her dress. So many pockets, so many creatures to reveal.
Then she started spinning her yarns and when Knitted Nancy spoke the kids listened. Really who could fail to listen to someone who looks like her headwear is fashioned on one of those knitted dolls you used to see covering spare toilet rolls?
"Lady" Penelope says her aim is to celebrate the absurdity of life. I love her for that. OK, wearing a knitted cosy is not my cup of tea but not taking yourself too seriously, being able to spin a good yarn and having people hang on your every word, I'll drink to that.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I'd been there. I think I would like Knitted Nancy and her yarns...

    ReplyDelete